Circa3’s big win at the 48 Hour Film Project in Salt Lake City has prompted a little bit of publicity. Kasey LaRose was recently invited on to the new podcast ’48 Hour Film Favorites’ hosted by Patrick Boberg, to talk about the filmmaking process for their short film Dignitas. If you haven’t seen our film yet, you can watch it here: Dignitas Short Film.

Kasey and Patrick discuss some of the choices that were made during the production process, the pitfalls of 48-hour contests, time travel, and much more. We have embedded the YouTube version of the podcast here, but be sure to check out the original posts on 48 Hour Film Favorites and subscribe! Thanks to Patrick for inviting us on.

48 Hour Favorites Podcast

Dignitas recently won Best Film and Best Cinematography at the 48 Hour Film Project in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Director’s Notes for Dignitas:

This was our first time entering a 48-hour film contest and we knew going in that we wanted to play to our strengths. My goal was to make the movie feel as cinematic as possible. Of course, going into the contest we thought we’d nail down a story pretty quickly, but we ended up wasting the entire night and part of the next morning struggling to agree on an idea – too many writers in the room. It actually got pretty contentious, but we finally arrived at an idea we thought could work and needed to start shooting immediately.

I knew from the beginning that we wanted to draw people in very quickly, so we wanted our main character to wake up or find himself in a situation that raised a lot of questions and added suspense. Our actors, Marcus Moss and Ted McCurdy, are not professional actors by trade, but I knew they would do a great job and give it their all.

The sister and brother-in-law of our writer, Angie, live in this amazing old house that belongs to the Eccles family in Ogden. We knew we wanted to film there, so we tried to come up with ideas that would work, since the house is so unique. It could be on Mad Men. Straight out of the 60s and has been preserved as such.

We shot until 3 a.m. going into Sunday and then Jeff Twede and I edited frantically on Sunday to make the 7:30 pm deadline. We were making final edits, rendering, and exporting the project on the way down to Salt Lake City while his wife drove the car. We both had Macbook Pros in hand just waiting to see who’s would finish first. We got to the Broadway Theater drop-off point at about 7:15 pm and still were exporting the final video. We had to wait outside as we watched many other teams frantically trying to finish their films as well. We ended up handing in our film at 7:30 with only ten seconds left, before the clock changed to 7:31 pm and it was too late.

It was a stressful and exhilarating experience and it worked out better than I could have imagined. I think we all grew from it and I am excited to start our next project, although we may wait a while to enter another 48-hour contest.

Did this podcast give you any insight into the 48 Hour Film Project or filmmaking? Let us know what you thought in the comments section below…